Communication is probably the most important part of relationships – at home, at the office, and basically everywhere you go where people are present.
Follow these five basic tips and you can train yourself to become a better communicator:
- Learn to listen to what is being said instead of focusing on what you want to say next. If you listen carefully you will be able to respond productively.
- Sometimes talking is not the best way to communicate, like when someone only wants you to listen to his or her problems. He or she only wants a sensitive ear and not someone who can solve their problems. So keep quiet and listen.
- Only concentrate on one topic at a time during a conversation. You might lose valuable information if you think ahead or dwell on already discussed topics.
- Body language plays an important role in communication. Make sure that you look the other person in the eye when you talk and when you listen. Be aware of your own body language when you talk so that you don’t send one voice message but another “body” message.
- Speak clearly and loud enough to make sure that you are being heard. How you say something is more important than what you say. For example, if you discuss an exciting topic with a dull voice and no enthusiasm, the other person will not believe that it is thrilling or find the topic interesting.