This soup has a rich roasted tomato base.
- 15 m1 olive oil (1 T)
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped or 10 ml crushed garlic (2 t)
- 750 g ripe tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1.25 ml salt (1/4 t)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 250 ml fresh basil (1 c or 30 g)
- 1 tin whole tomatoes (410 g)
- 10 ml chicken stock powder (2 t), dissolved in
- 500 ml boiling water
- 5 – 10 ml sugar (1 – 2 t)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Pour the oil into a baking sheet and heat in the oven until the oil is thin and runny, but not smoking.
- Remove from the oven and add the onions, garlic, fresh tomatoes, salt and pepper and toss so that all the vegetables are covered with oil.
- Roast the vegetables for 20 minutes, tossing from time to time.
- Pour the vegetables into a blender or blend in the saucepan with a hand held food processor, together with the fresh basil and tinned tomatoes. Blend until smooth. Add sugar to balance the tartness of the tomatoes.
- Pour into a saucepan, together with the prepared stock. Heat through on the stove top.
- Serve with one or two slices of low GI bread and a little lower fat cheese, if desired.
Makes about 1 litre.