- Last Updated on Monday, 17 November 2014 16:00
Have you gained a few extra kilograms? An excellent way to lose those added centimetres and to improve your fitness is to start cycling.
What makes cycling so enjoyable is the fact that it can be done in groups. Not only is this a chance to be sociable, but you also have the opportunity to burn fat and improve fitness.
Before you start with your cycling routine, consult your doctor so that he or she can make sure that there are no health risks involved for you.
General tips to get the most out of your cycling routine
- Make sure that your bicycle is the right size for you. If your knees can touch your ears while you cycle, you should definitely get a bigger bike or adjust your seat!
- When you are seated, your legs should be only slightly bent when they reach the bottom of the pedalling movement
- Keep your back straight and your neck and shoulder muscles relaxed while you cycle
- Cycle for 20 to 30 minutes, three to four times a week.
Benefits of cycling
- It can be done in groups or on your own
- It is an excellent activity for weight control
- It helps to build quadriceps (a group of four large muscles in front of the thigh)
- It relieves stress
- It increases muscular strength and endurance
- It improves functioning of the heart and lungs.
If you want to get the most out of your cycling routine, include a healthy eating plan into your daily activities. Always wear a bicycle helmet when cycling on the road.
(Revised by M van Deventer)