Does the call of the wild not hold that certain attraction for you? Do you not fancy yourself as a bit of an adrenaline junky? Well, it might be worth giving more adventurous pursuits a go, as getting outdoors and testing your own mettle can provide opportunities for you to grow and develop. And it can be heaps of fun too.
What is adventure recreation?
Adventure recreation refers to activities that provide participants with an opportunity to relax and unwind, but also provides them with a certain level of excitement, physical challenge and exposure to a level of physical danger. They are fun activities that also test the physical and psychological limits of participants.
Types of adventure recreation
South Africa’s diverse natural terrain coupled with our climate makes it ideal for adventure recreation activities. The list of adventure recreation activities on offer is almost endless. It includes rock-climbing, abseiling, kayaking, skydiving, scuba diving, horseback trails, paragliding, bungee jumping, canoeing, rafting, fishing, hiking, flying, surfing, windsurfing and kite-surfing.
Benefits specific to adventure recreation
- Adventure type activities challenges the participant
- Being in nature helps participants to relax and de-stress
- Overcoming the different challenges builds confidence
- It encourages risk-taking
- It helps to develop the skills of critical thinking and problem-solving
- It helps in self-discovery and healthy character development
- It enhances creativity
- It teaches participants to be more environmentally aware
- It provides opportunities to meet people, socialise and develop interpersonal skills.
Not just fun in the sun
Recreation adventure does not just offer more exciting hobbies; it has inspired a whole tourism industry. In addition, companies working in teambuilding and leadership have recognised the value of these types of recreation and have built programmes around it to help business to develop its workforce and build better team dynamics.