Although this recipe contains high GI ingredients such as the Boudoir biscuits, the syrup from the cherries and the instant pudding powder, the beans, cottage cheese and the yoghurt offset these, and the end result is a low GI cheesecake like pudding.
- 410 g tin small white beans, drained
- ½ packet Boudoir biscuits (72,5g)
- 50 ml sherry (optional)
- 250 g cottage cheese, low fat, smooth
- 250 ml plain yoghurt, low fat
- 1 packet vanilla instant pudding
- 1 x 410g tin cherries in syrup
- 10 ml gelatin
- Process the beans in a food processor or liquidizer until very smooth.
- Arrange the biscuits in a single layer in an attractive glass serving dish.
- Sprinkle the sherry over the biscuits.
- Beat the beans, cottage cheese, yoghurt and instant pudding together with an electric beater or hand whisk.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the biscuits and place in the refrigerator.
- Drain the cherries and cut in half. Arrange on top of the set cottage cheese filling.
- Mix the gelatine into the cherry syrup and stir the mixture over low heat, until all the gelatine is dissolved.
- Allow the gelatine and cherry syrup to cool.
- When it is cool to the touch, pour the cooled cherry juice mixture over the pudding and refrigerate until set – at least 2 hours.
Nutrients per serving
GI: low (52)
Dieticians notes: Although this recipe contains high GI ingredients such as the Boudoir biscuits, the syrup from the cherries and the instant pudding powder, the beans, cottage cheese and the yoghurt offset these, and the end result is a low GI cheesecake like pudding.
Suitable for people with diabetes and hypoglycaemia and slimmers, despite the sugar in it. Slimmers should remember to leave out one starch and have less protein at the meal where this cheesecake type pudding is eaten.
One serving is equivalent to: 1 starch and 1 dairy/protein
This recipe is compliments of Snacks and Treats for Sustained Energy by Gabi Steenkamp and Jekse Wellmann (Tafelberg, 2007), available from most bookstores, your local dietitian, pharmacy or www.gabisteenkamp.co.za.